Learn more about manufactured homes and communities
Finding the perfect home in the right neighborhood can be a challenge, and making an informed decision is very important. Our goal is to help simplify your search. We’re happy to help by answering some common questions about manufactured homes and manufactured home communities.Contact Us
What is a manufactured home? View Answer
A manufactured home is a quality factory built-home that is delivered to a property and set in place. These homes are constructed in accordance with the national building code governed by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Quality control, factory inspections and ideal building conditions ensure that every manufactured home is constructed of the highest quality. The homes are assembled at the factory and are transported in one or more sections to the desired location.Close
What are some of the benefits of owning a manufactured home? View Answer
Owners of manufactured homes enjoy the benefits of a single-story floor plan, low maintenance and top-grade construction. In addition, manufactured homes offer quality living at an affordable price. Residents also enjoy resort-style amenities and a variety of planned social activities and group outings that keep them on the go from dawn until dusk.Close
What is the average price of a manufactured home? View Answer
Today’s new manufactured homes sell for an average new price of just over $60,000, while the average used manufactured home sells for about $13,000. Whether new or used, manufactured homes offer a tremendous value in today’s housing market. Depending on the region of the country, construction cost per square foot for a new manufactured home averages about 10 to 35 percent less than a comparable site-built home, excluding the cost of land.Close
What is the average size of a manufactured home? View Answer
Today’s manufactured homes average more than 1,400 square feet and can be customized to suit the needs of each homebuyer with features such as peaked roofs, skylights, screened-in porches, bay windows, fireplaces and designer kitchens.Close
What kinds of features and layouts are available in today’s manufactured homes? View Answer
A variety of floor plans are available in today’s manufactured homes to allow each homebuyer to create an ideal environment. Whether you’re looking for the perfect floor plan for entertaining, a cozy space for quiet evenings or all the features you need to create culinary delights, you’ll find the perfect fit in a manufactured home. Surprising features of today’s manufactured homes include vaulted ceilings, deluxe kitchens, walk-in-closets, bathrooms with recessed bathtubs and whirlpools and much more.Close
How do I know if the home I purchase has been constructed in accordance with HUD's national building code? View Answer
Before leaving the factory, each manufactured home must have a numbered certification label affixed to the exterior of each section of the home. This label certifies to the homebuyer that the home has been inspected in accordance with the HUD enforcement procedures and that it complies with the HUD building code. You should also find a data plate on each home listing the manufacturer, serial number, design approval, heating specifications and wind resistance information. If these can’t be located, purchase of the home is not recommended.Close
What kinds of financing options are available to manufactured home buyers? View Answer
A variety of financing options are available to assist in the purchase of your manufactured home. Down payments typically range from 5% to 10% of the selling price of the home, and loan terms are typically 15 to 20 years. The friendly, knowledgeable sales consultants at each community can provide you with additional information.Close
What is a land lease community? View Answer
A land lease community is one where the owner of a home leases the land on which the home is set. Most manufactured home communities in the U.S. are land lease communities.Close
What amenities are offered to residents of manufactured housing communities? View Answer
Amenities vary from community to community and may include swimming pools, whirlpools and spas, golf courses, clubhouses, tennis courts, pickleball courts, game rooms, exercise rooms, basketball and volleyball courts, play and picnic areas, marinas and boat docks.Close
Do you offer age qualified communities? View Answer
We offer many locations that are marketed exclusively as age qualified communities and our search functionality makes it easy to find one! Whether you choose to search by Find A Community or Find A Home, you can specify “Age Restricted” as the Community Type and your results will be filtered accordingly.Close
What fees can I expect to pay as a resident of a manufactured housing community? View Answer
Some of the typical fees associated with living in a manufactured housing community include site rent, utilities such as water, sewer, electric and gas, trash collection and cable television service.Close
Are rental homes available within the communities? View Answer
Rental programs are available at several communities, allowing customers who may not be ready to purchase a home experience the benefits of community living first-hand.Close
Are pets allowed at communities? View Answer
Most communities are pet-friendly and each community has guidelines concerning pets.Close
Is there a homeowners' association at each community? View Answer
Many manufactured housing communities have homeowners' associations that serve as liaison between residents and management.Close
Can residents have their own lawn/garden design? View Answer
Our residents are dedicated homeowners who take pride in their home sites. Residents are responsible for their individual landscaping designs and many produce meticulously maintained home sites, thereby enhancing the overall beauty of each community.Close
What are the benefits of a land lease over purchasing land for a manufactured home? View Answer
Many people ponder the buy or lease decision when choosing where to live. In an effort to help our customers make this decision we have outlined the advantages of a land lease below:
- “Nest Egg” Retention — Retirees looking to preserve capital appreciate the safety net that the land lease provides. Homeowners in a manufactured home community are free to invest the money they would have otherwise spent on land in other ventures, and are able to have a more flexible savings program.
- Transaction Costs — The cost of buying and selling a piece of land can take a significant time period to recoup. These costs include commissions, closing costs, title searches, surveys, and the costs of necessary site preparation. If you’re unsure whether you’ll live in the home long enough to recoup these expenses, a land lease community may be advisable.
- Additional Costs/Exposure to Market Volatility — Land ownership brings exposure to real estate taxes and volatility in the market.
- Ease of Sale — Owning a home in a community with a professional management team can also increase the liquidity of your home. In many communities, management offers brokerage services to help you sell your home, allowing you to benefit from the community’s on-site sales office presence and expertise in the community as well as sales and marketing.
- Pride of Ownership — The partnership between the landowner and the homeowner ensures that the interests of both the lessor and lessee will be met. The community owner has a vested interest in maintaining the grounds and the desirability of the community. This provides built-in protection for the homeowner for their investment in the home.
- Sense of Community — Community living offers individuals an opportunity to share common interests among those living in their neighborhood. An abundance of activities and resort-style amenities combine to offer residents a fabulous lifestyle.